Sunday, August 15, 2010

Changes Ahead!

Wow! What a difference a year makes. This time last year I was busy planning for my new class of 5th graders! This year I am planning on moving half way around the world......That's right! I'm moving to the United Arab Emirates to teach English, math, and science.  Here's a map of where I will be heading. I will fly into Abu Dhabi (on the Persian Gulf coast) in August. Notice that this country (UAE) is bordered by Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and Oman. I will keep you posted as I know more information!


August 2:
I just had an update yesterday that the first group of teachers will be heading over in about a week. I haven't been told which "group" I'm in, so I am not sure if I will be leaving then or later.

The UAE is a union of 7 emirates (rather like the U.S. is a union of 50 states). Abu Dhabi is the emirate where I'll be teaching. Within this emirate are several major cities, including Abu Dhabi City and Al Ain. Abu Dhabi City is on the Persian Gulf coast. Al Ain is an oasis in the mountain region and is on the Oman border. I have requested to be in Al Ain for several reasons, but we are told we won't know which city we've been assigned until we arrive. The same is true of the grade level I will teach. I have been told 3rd grade, but that won't be final until I am actually in the school!! Here is a photo of the mountain region.


August 4: 
Today I came back out to the school to be a "parapro" for my former colleagues. It was refreshing not to have the stress that goes along with getting the classroom ready for new students. I just did odd jobs, whatever needed doing! I also got to greet the 5th graders as they came into the hall to meet their new teachers. They were so excited about starting their final year in elementary school. It was great to enjoy their enthusiasm!


I am already thinking about my new classroom and what I'll need to prepare for that, but since I don't know the grade level or subject matter content, there's not a lot I can do yet! We still don't have a departure date, so my husband and I are working on getting the house packed up and ready to sell!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment