Monday, May 2, 2011

Heritage Day at School

We celebrated Heritage Day at our school this past week.  The back yard area of the school was set up with huts and seating areas to showcase cooking, games, clothing, and other aspects of the UAE culture.  The students came all dressed up and bringing food and other treats.



Before the festivities began....
Welcome to Al Isra'a Cycle 1 School (Grades 1-5)
Sheikh Zayed ("Papa Zayed") 
Traditional Cooking
Quantities of food
My students (Rahaf and Maitha) delivering food to the teachers...

More students (Shamma, Aisha, and Salama) and their food samples
Large huts were set up with displays
Students selecting "halawa" or candy

Dalia shows off her face-painting and henna
Hamda displays her henna
Getting henna
Camel made out of palm fronds
Nursery area
One of my students (Ohoud) with an oud burner (or "medhan").  Oud is a wood that is used as a kind of perfume for men and women.  The oud makes the clothes smell from the smoke.
Some of my lovely girls (Salama, Ghalia, and Salama) with the "Oud" pots
Malak is eating shish-kebob.  I was told they had lamb and camel meat cooking....don't know for sure!  I tried some, but it was very spicy.

Malak and Kholoud show off their M & M eyeglasses
Sara swings 
Wedding display
Fatima shows the traditional face covering or "batoola" that is worn by older women when they are around non-mahram men (or men they are not related to). 
"My Heritage is my Worth"
Writing on the wall mural
Showing our pride...
Pretending to talk on the phone (my camera) to see how my henna looks....

0 comments:

Post a Comment