Friday, February 11, 2011

Emergency Room Visit

A while back, ADEC (Abu Dhabi Education Council), my employer, came to our school and said we need more integration with the Arabic teachers.  They moved 4 of us to the other workroom so we can learn from each other.  So, I decided this could be really cool.  I'd get to talk to them more and hopefully get to know them a little better.

While in that workroom, one funny incident happened with my lunch.  I had put a salad and some Hummus and bread in the fridge until lunch.  When I went to get it, it was missing.  I waited a moment because the other teachers were talking and I hated to interrupt, but finally I asked, "Has anyone seen my lunch?  It was a salad and some hummus in a plastic container."

One teacher turned red and had a horrified look on her face.  She told me she had put it out for the teachers to eat because they take turns bringing in food each day, and she thought someone brought it to share. I laughed and said that was okay, but the other teachers in the room were laughing hysterically and talking rapidly in Arabic.  I gathered that they were giving the teacher a hard time.  She continued to apologize, jumped up, and grabbed a big plate off the food table, started filling it with all kinds of food (including about 9 pieces of Arabic bread and a full container of Hummus, 2 cucumbers, a tomato, a knife, etc.).  I kept assuring her that there was no problem, but she apologized for the rest of the lunch period.  As each new teacher came into the room, the other teachers kept telling the story.....until I finally left and returned to my classroom.

Then, the next day after my first period, I had a break.  I went to the workroom to get my papers to write lesson plans.  When I first walked in the workroom, I realized there was a strong smell, but I didn't know what it was.  I grabbed my things and quickly walked out of the room, but I wasn't quick enough.  About halfway down the hallway I started choking and coughing.  Then, it was as if I couldn't catch my breath at all. I was gasping for air.  I ran to the other workroom, and by the time I got there I was terrified that I wasn't going to be able to breathe.  Our TA was in the room and immediately realized something was wrong.  I pointed to my throat and she called for the nurse.  I'm down on the floor gasping and heaving, trying to draw in a breath.  Meanwhile, another teacher ran to get my inhaler.  After all was said and done, the incident probably lasted only about 10 minutes, but it seemed forever.

What had set it all off was a charcoal burner that was lit in the Arabic workroom.  I thought I could still teach after my break was over, so I stayed at school.  But right before class, I went downstairs to the main office to ask about a class change, and something in that room triggered my breathing again.  I think my throat was just too sensitized by that time, but we all realized I couldn't talk enough to teach the rest of the day.  They sent me home.

I went to 3 different clinics to see a doctor and get some medicine, but none took my insurance.  (ADEC changed insurance companies at the beginning of January, and I hadn't read up on which places took the card.)  My taxi driver finally called someone he knew who had the same company, and I went to NMC clinic.  There was a wait because I was there during the part of the day when people rest.  When I finally saw the doctor, she was great.  After listening to my chest she decided she wanted to see what was going on in there, so she called the hospital and ordered some x-rays.  She also said I needed a breathing treatment to get my breathing back to normal.  Then she prescribed various medicines, including some yucky tablets that dissolve in a cup of water and taste terrible.  I'll take a pill any day over drinking something!!!

I then went to the hospital, which was another interesting story!  For the x-rays, I had to sign a paper that said I wasn't pregnant.  There were 6 reasons to choose as to how I KNEW I wasn't pregnant.  One of them was, "I do not have a husband."  Ha-ha!!  That'll sure keep someone from getting pregnant--great birth control!!

They gave me a shot of steroids and a shot of antibiotics (which had to be signed out of the pharmacy next door and delivered to the hospital.)  Apparently, they do not keep medicine in the emergency room!! Wonder what happens when there is a real emergency.......

So I got the shots, had the breathing treatment for about 20 minutes, got the x-rays, filled my prescriptions, and got home about 5:00.

I felt good enough to go back to school the next day, and everything is pretty much back to normal....except I'm waiting for all this medicine to take effect.  I think it is having an effect, if only on my digestive system.

Fun week, eh?


1 comments:

Joe said...

i was at the hospital today myself...hope you're better!

Post a Comment