Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Merry Christmas from the UAE!

I could not find any cute Christmas cards here in the UAE.  They all looked pretty generic, just like I might find in the U.S.  Heather found some cute ones at a store in Abu Dhabi, so I just scanned one of hers for this blog.  She shared 4 of her cards with me, so other than IMMEDIATE family, I won't be sending Christmas cards this year.....

It's hard to get in the spirit with very little Christmas music except what I hear in the flat.  I'm used to hearing the music starting at Thanksgiving, and by week 2 of the songs, I'm typically in the mood for shopping!  Here, it's already the 10th and I haven't even thought about buying Christmas gifts.  Okay, folks back home, Kim and I will hit the internet today to be shipping those gifts home--ha-ha!!!

Kim has settled right in.  We bought a stove and had it delivered last night, got the gas hooked up, and I'm looking forward to my first home-cooked meal since September 1st!  We're going to buy cooking utensils today, I hope.

We had been frantically trying to get Kim's paperwork and passport completed and stamped with his residency visa so he could leave the country for Spain next week.  With the slow pace here, we were cutting it very close to get his passport back the day before we were going to fly out.  So, last night we get a call that his paperwork is back.  We hop in a cab, go pick up his papers and walk them over to the Ministry of the Interior (which stays open until 9:00, thank goodness!) It usually takes about a minimum of 5 working days to get the passport back.  It took mine about 5 weeks.

 I asked the man behind the counter how long it would be until his passport would be returned since we were leaving the country in a few days.  He smiled and said, "I will do it right now.  Wait here."  He returned a short time later with Kim's passport and handed it to us, already complete with his residency visa!!!!  Hooray for helpful government workers in the Interior Ministry!!!!  Now Kim gets to go to Spain with the rest of the family.  (Sorry, Heather, he was going to keep Blue if he was left behind!)  Ha-ha!!

My principal and AQC surprised us yesterday with a birthday cake for those of us who had birthdays in November.  They only found out it was our birthdays when we turned in a copy of our passports.  I think they felt bad that they had not known.  Yummy chocolate cake!  :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment