Sunday, September 5, 2010

New Weight-Loss Plan

For those of you trying to lose weight, I highly recommend coming to Abu Dhabi during Ramadan!!  We get up in the morning and have a delicious, healthy breakfast of fruit, yogurt, etc.  There are many selections on the buffet bar, but I'm holding off on trying a lot of new foods until I am sure my tummy won't rebel.  Then, we are not supposed to eat or drink in public until after sundown.  I drink a good bit of water in my hotel room, but so far I've resisted the temptation to scarf up all the snacking items in my hotel room bar.  I have avoided these tidbits by mostly being out of the room during the day.  We're taking advantage of the pool, gym, and spa (all free to guests) while we can.  In the evening, Heather and I typically split a meal to save on costs (and because the portions are large enough for two).  So far, I'm down 10 pounds, or as they would say here, 4.5 kilograms.  (All those years of teaching the metric system are finally paying off!!)

Today is our "off" day because half the group has gone today for their police and medical checks.  The other half of us will go tomorrow, so that will be a busy day.  Another friend and I are also going to take a taxi to the airport to talk face-to-face with the Etihad airlines representative to see if we can resolve the damage to our luggage.  I'm so glad my luggage finally came with everything inside intact, but I don't have a way to move to my new accommodations with all my worldly goods unless I have a new piece of luggage.  Hopefully, we'll get something settled and I won't have to duct tape my suitcase (shades of Beverly Hillbillies here)!!

Today we plan to head back to the Marina Mall to take care of some business.  I bought a curling iron so I wouldn't have to continue to use an adapter, but it won't turn on.  I'm going to return it for one that works!!  Then, I hope to get my laptop fixed.  There's a loose CD trapped inside the body of the computer.....thanks, Heather!  So far, it hasn't impaired the use of my computer, but I'm not taking any chances.  This is my link to the world!!

Skype has been truly amazing.  I have been able to talk to most of my family and "see" them on a regular basis, so that has definitely helped stave off the homesickness.  Heather is such a joy to me!  This is an awesome opportunity for both of us and is only heightened by the fact that I get to spend the time with her and experience life abroad with a loved one. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment